he beginnings of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham can be traced to 1994 when a School of Engineering was started in an obscure village named Ettimadai, at the foothills of Bouluvanpatty ranges of the Western Ghats in the Coimbatore district of Tamil Nadu.At that time there were 120 students and 13 faculty members. Today, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham has five campuses in three different states of India. There is a student population of over 12,000 and faculty strength of nearly 1500. Over 120 UG, PG and doctoral programs are offered.
The department of Mechanical Engineering was started in the year 1994. The department offers B.Tech program in Mechanical Engineering. At present the department intake capacity is 180 students per year in the B.Tech level. The department has competent and committed faculty members drawn from industry, practicing professionals and academicians to enhance the delivery of academic programs.
The department has evolved a comprehensive student-centric learning approach, designed to add significant value to the learner’s understanding in an integrated manner through workshops, lab sessions, assignments, training, seminars, projects and independent study. The hands-on training offered our CAD/CAM training in latest design software brings in a formal method of familiarizing with the industrial practices helps the students to apply their class room knowledge to live industrial situations.