The beginnings of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham can be traced to 1994 when a School of Engineering was started in an obscure village named Ettimadai, at the foothills of Bouluvanpatty ranges of the Western Ghats in the Coimbatore district of Tamil Nadu.At that time there were 120 students and 13 faculty members. Today, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham has five campuses in three different states of India. There is a student population of over 12,000 and faculty strength of nearly 1500. Over 120 UG, PG and doctoral programs are offered.
When Amrita became a “deemed to be University” in January 2003, it was the youngest group of institutions to be conferred this status. As Amrita’s first campus, Coimbatore is home to the administrative headquarters of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.Schools of Engineering and Business, in addition to Departments of Social Work and Communication, are located on this campus. Research centers include AMBE, CEN, CES and Cybersecurity. The campus has nearly 3500 students and about 600 faculty and staff members.
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering was established on 7th October 1996 with seven faculty members . In nearly two decades, it has grown into one of the major departments in the Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, with a dedicated team of 70+ experienced and qualified faculty members demonstrating excellence in teaching and research. Currently the department offers Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech.) in Computer Science and Engineering, B. Tech. Honors in Computer Science and Engineering, Master of Technology (M. Tech.) in Computer Science and Engineering. The department offers Ph.D. programmes in Thrust areas. The department has attracted the best engineering aspirants across the country.