The beginnings of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham can be traced to 1994 when a School of Engineering was started in an obscure village named Ettimadai, at the foothills of Bouluvanpatty ranges of the Western Ghats in the Coimbatore district of Tamil Nadu.At that time there were 120 students and 13 faculty members. Today, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham has five campuses in three different states of India. There is a student population of over 12,000 and faculty strength of nearly 1500. Over 120 UG, PG and doctoral programs are offered.
When Amrita became a “deemed to be University” in January 2003, it was the youngest group of institutions to be conferred this status. As Amrita’s first campus, Coimbatore is home to the administrative headquarters of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.Schools of Engineering and Business, in addition to Departments of Social Work and Communication, are located on this campus. Research centers include AMBE, CEN, CES and Cybersecurity. The campus has nearly 3500 students and about 600 faculty and staff members.
The department, established in 1994 has sufficient number of academic and support staff, committed to research and teaching, and well equipped laboratories and library, meeting the requirements of undergraduates, post graduates and research students. Graduates and postgraduates of Electrical and Electronics Engineering will be able to take up challenging jobs in a wide range of industries and engage themselves in research and development. The department has Power electronics, Electric Machines and Control Systems, Electrical Measurements and Embedded Systems Laboratories in addition to Electrical Workshop. Each laboratory is equipped with instruments and equipments for teaching, learning and research.