Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College, the prestigious institution of the Steel City, was started on 23rd April 1986 by upgrading the existing District Government Hospital which was started on 1917 in a span of 150 acres land. Inorder to serve the sick and needy people of Salem and the adjacent districts.The foundation for the Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College was laid at Salem by the late Shri. Rajiv Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India on 25th october 1988.
Admission of students for the first batch was carried out in July 1990. The Non-teaching Headquarters Hospital, Salem was converted as teaching Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College Hospital which now is well equipped with all modern equipments and qualified staff.
The College which was temporarily situated in the District Board Building was moved to this 150 acres premises on the Steel plant road. The majestic faculty block has enormous space for the various departments and their museums. The College has a separate lecture hall block, Administrative block and a spacious library block. A big modern auditorium and two larger lecture halls with latest audio visual equipments were inaugurated in April 2005. This College has been recognized for the award of M.B.B.S degree granted by the Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University vide letter no. MCI 34(A1)/96/Med/8661 dated 8/7/96 of the Medical Council of India, New Delhi.