The beginnings of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham can be traced to 1994 when a School of Engineering was started in an obscure village named Ettimadai, at the foothills of Bouluvanpatty ranges of the Western Ghats in the Coimbatore district of Tamil Nadu.At that time there were 120 students and 13 faculty members. Today, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham has five campuses in three different states of India. There is a student population of over 12,000 and faculty strength of nearly 1500. Over 120 UG, PG and doctoral programs are offered.
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the Amritapuri Campus offers undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs. Over 1000 students are currently enrolled in the B. Tech., M. Tech. and Ph. D. programs offered.In addition, the Department offers a three year Master of Computer Application program, a two year M. Sc. (Computer Science) program and a three year BCA (Computer Application) program.The Department of Computer Science is one of the largest and well established centres of learning computer science inSouth India offering B Tech,B.Tech Honours, M Tech, BCA, and MCA programmes.
Experienced and highly qualified faculties facilitate the students to achieve a high level knowledge and skills on recent trends in computing. The department has close association with reputed institutions in India and abroad (SUNY Buffalo,VU,UC Davis etc) to support students in their academics and final projects as internship.