Women’s Christian College was founded on 7th July 1915 as a joint venture of 12 missionary societies from the UK, USA and Canada, under the able leadership of the first Principal, Dr. Miss Eleanor McDougall,with 41 students and 7 faculty in Hyde Park, a rented premises in Kilpauk. Declared a first grade college in 1916, WCC purchased the imposing Doveton House built circa 1798 and set within 11 acres of slyvan surroundings along the banks of the River Cooum in Nungambakkam, using a gift of $25,000, generously donated by the Women’s American Baptist Fellowship Missionary Society from the legacy of Mrs. Laura Spelman Rockefeller. The College shifted to its new home on College Road on 5 July 1916 and as the number of students grew, bought up 2 adjacent parcels of land and buildings bringing up the total acreage to 20.
The Department of English offered a B.A. in English Language and Literature as early as 1962, under the able guidance of Dr. Bertha Corfield. Over the years the B.A. programme has grown and altered dramatically, incorporating a wide variety of courses in keeping with contemporary trends and career opportunities. Making full use of Autonomy, the Department has been a pioneer in introducing courses in Translation, Feminist Perspectives and courses in media such as Advertising and Video Production. The traditional literature courses have been given a streamlined, chronological structure.